Friday, February 6, 2009

No stitching for me

Thanks for all the sweet comments and emails. I'm just taking it day by day at the moment. For those of you who suggested a little stitching time - not happening right now. Two reasons - one, between the weather and having my hands constantly in touch with paper (and washing them so often!) my fingers are all dry, cracked and sore. I can't keep enough lotion on them in the evenings, and two - if I sit still and try to stitch, I fall asleep. Sucks because then when I go to bed I can't sleep. I don't think I've had more than a couple of hours a night for the past two weeks. The brain just won't shut up!

I do still have some pictures I haven't shared yet, so today I'll show you something I got for Christmas. My friend Sue (no blog) sent this doily that was handmade by her grandmother (I think - I'll have to find the card she sent with it) It was stained and torn but I soaked it - then soaked it some more. I have no idea how to crochet or to repair crochet so I just used some white thread and tried to sew the torn places back together as best I could. The repair work wouldn't win any prizes but it looks so much better now! Thank you Sue - I can't believe you would part with it, but I promise to take good care of it.


I still don't have my van back. One of the parts came in wrong and they had to re-order. I'm still hoping for today but it could be Monday. While I sincerely appreciate the loan of a car from my parents, I am not comfortable driving it at all. I drive a mini-van folks. The front end is short and I can see it with no effort and there is only the width of a bumper past the back window. Mother's car has a hood that goes on forever and a trunk to match!
Today it is back to MIL's to finish packing up - I've almost finished packing boxes and I'm pretty sure that some of what is left will land in a trash can when no one is looking. We will get a U-haul either late this afternoon or first thing in the morning and hopefully this whole task will be finished by dark-thirty tomorrow.
It is starting to get daylight out - I better get busy!

7 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

You must be having to leave faster than I thought. Boy, that's some kind of stress. It's funny, but I couldn't fall asleep in front of a tv or with a book or stitching in my lap for anything!
Brenda

Nola said...

What a task! Somehow, you'll manage to get it all done; then don't forget to pamper yourself a little; you need it with all the stress and upheaval! Have a great weekend.

Margo said...

I know this is a hard time for you, and you and your family are in our prayers. Just take it one day at a time, and make lists. that's the only way I keep my sanity. I'd love to come visit you in Houston when you get settled, there are lots of good junkin spots in Houston from what I hear.
ttyl
Margo

nikkicrumpet said...

I can't even imagine the turmoil...it would be hard to concentrate on any task. Just keep taking one step at a time. And you'll make it through. I hope you get some rest soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all of this with us. These are the times when we look back and think, "how did we manage to do all of that?". Thinking good thoughts for you! Terry in Arlington
ps..try sipping about 2 oz of milk to sleep..it helps me when nothing else will.

Anonymous said...

The doily looks TERRIFIC !! You did a great job , and yes it was stitched ( crocheted) by my grandmother , she died at age 93 in 1985 , somebody help me with the map!! I sent it to you because I knew you would appreciate it , I'll find you another in the near ( I hope ) future....love you girlfriend , miss our talks ....

Esther Sunday said...

Just checked in to catch up a bit...I am sorry that you have the upheavel of moving. I know that you and your dear hubby will be able to change any house into a home! With Love, Esther