Friday, December 2, 2022

Christmas Mantels

This is the first house we have owned that has a fireplace (and we have two!)

2016
This was the first Christmas we were here and the first time I had a mantel to decorate.
I made do with things I already owned.

 

2017 

Basically the same as the year before.

2018

We had been using the same stockings since 1984. I had stitched the cuffs and my grandmother made the stockings. I had bought enough extra fabric to make another stocking so when kidlet number three came along, I just stitched another cuff and my grandmother made another stocking. Well, 34 years later our numbers had changed and the stockings were looking a bit worse for the wear so I decided we needed new stockings. I found these pretty cheap and bought extras. (I love the look of them though) These are only supposed to be temporary - I have dreams of stitching new stockings for everyone. I have patterns and fabric but have only completed the stitching on one so far.

2019
I added a couple of Santas (on each end) this year. Not much of a change but it worked. 
Still no cross stitched stockings.

2020
I finished and framed my French Alphabet Sampler in 2020 and didn't really like the red, lighted picture with it so I put it on the mantel outside and found a new one for inside. We also got new logs this year - I shoulda had them on for the photo but who knows what the temp was when I took this. I could have been running the a/c full force. 

2021
Changed things up last year! I bought new lamps that looked better with the sampler and started collecting trees as soon as they started putting them out - I had something in mind. I love the more simple look. I waited until a few days before Christmas to put out all the stockings 

2022

Kept the simple look from last year (the lights are there - just not showing up well) I added a couple of small trees right in the front but they don't show up much here either.

How do you like those stockings? There was a reason those stockings were cheap. They still looked good on the outside but we discovered on Christmas morning last year that the lining had disintegrated. That stuff got everywhere. Since I knew I couldn't get that many stockings stitched by this Christmas, I had the big idea to make some quilted ones. Well how many do you think I got done? That's what happens when you put things off. Since I have had surgery on both hands in the past 5 weeks, I don't think they are going to get done this year. I think we are going to have bags this year!

I didn't put out all my Christmas decor this year. With all that was going on it was just too much. I put up one of the smaller trees in the living room and just put my handmade ornaments on it. They are kept in a separate box so I didn't have to drag out a lot of boxes. I usually start the day after Thanksgiving and it usually takes me a week to get it all done. Well, that wasn't going to happen! I had everything I was going to do done before surgery last week. I had hubby pull a couple of totes from the garage and  I pulled out some of what was in the cedar chest but there was a lot of boxes I didn't even look in so there is a lot of stuff missing this year - but it's plenty festive! Hubby and DIL thought the fireman tree needed to be put up so they did that one last weekend - I had nothing to do with it - and I told them they had to take it down! LOL

I'm slow at getting things put back together after Thanksgiving but I'll get pictures when I get it done. I had it all clean before Thanksgiving but we had a houseful and with limited use of my hands it's still a bit messy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The hands will get better and the house will get clean eventually. One day at a time!

Have a great weekend!






2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I love your mantle and it was fun seeing a review of them since you moved in, Tina. Hopefully, your second surgery is recovering smoothly like the first one.

Terry said...

I love them all! So fun as Robin said. That sampler is perfection.