Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Would you like a cup?

Would you like a cup of hot chocolate?

I made hot chocolate mix the other day. (I didn't have any marshmallows that day, but I have some now if you would like those in yours)

I've had this recipe for years and usually make several batches before winter is over, although without the boys living with us I may not have to make as much this year.


First you need a really big bowl. If you have a pretty big bowl that you think will do, get a bigger one! This one is a 13qt bowl I found at Sam's. Big enough to mix it in without making a mess - if I am careful!


This is really easy. Nestle's Chocolate Mix, powdered sugar, instant milk and coffee mate. I use a whisk to break up any lumps in the powdered sugar and coffee mate before I mix it all together with a big spoon.


Mix it all together


and keep it handy! I keep mine in a glass jar on the counter next to the flour and sugar.

This is the original recipe - remember I said it was really old and at one time everything listed came in the size container listed - the chocolate mix and instant milk boxes have changed sizes. I'll list 'my' recipe following the original.

Hot Chocolate Mix

2 lbs Nestle's Chocolate mix
1 lb. box powdered sugar
14 qt box instant milk
6 oz coffee mate

Mix together well. Store in tightly covered container. Use 1/3 cup mix with 2/3 cup boiling water for 1 cup hot chocolate.
Makes 65 cups.

my conversion - 5 cups Nestle's chocolate mix (you could probably get away with a little less but I like a lot of chocolate!)
1 box powdered sugar - I think this is still a 1 lb box.
19 cups instant milk - I use the store brand, actually I use the Sam's brand - much cheaper than buying at the grocery store
6 oz coffee mate - have used the store brand for this also. I've never made it with anything other than the 'regular' flavor but you might try something different.

we use the 1 part to 2 part ratio - we always make ours in a large mug.

I'm really missing my instant hot water tap about now!

Makes a nice gift in a pretty jar if you need just a little something for someone. Add a pretty mug and some marshmallows and they are ready to go!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I've been looking for a tried and true hot chocolate mix and this looks perfect! Thanks for sharing it!