Thursday, February 24, 2011

Always something

So, I've been working on this project all week. I really do plan to show you the whole thing - eventually. I'm finally done with all the painting on the main part (still have to paint shelves but I need to get the main part inside so I have room in the garage to paint those) Anyway - it is old and most of the original hardware is gone. Some of it was replaced - obviously at different times since the replacements don't match each other or the originals. So I went to Home Depot and stood in front of the hardware for a good half hour trying to decide what I wanted. I tend to lean towards brushed nickel but I finally decided on some Venetian Bronze ones that I thought would best suit the piece. Since I can't count, I picked up 10 pulls and 2 knobs. (I only need 8 pulls and 2 knobs)

I came home and got after it with some sandpaper. Decided it was distressed enough. Looked at it a bit longer and decided against glaze. I can't move the big piece by myself (will bring that in when hubby gets home to help) so I brought in a drawer, waxed it up a bit and opened up one of the pulls.


Looks good, doesn't it.

Except for this -


It doesn't fit. I took one of the old pieces with me to measure and it measures the same size but the hole for the screw on the new pull is as close to the inside of the handle as it could possibly get and they don't cover the holes in the drawer! Argh!

I'm going to have to go back and look again (I may take the whole drawer with me this time) but it just started raining here so it will have to wait.

I think I need a snack.

ps - is anyone else having trouble with blogger? I haven't been able to get spell check to work for the past couple of days and it took three tries (hours apart) yesterday to get my post up - haven't tried this one yet but if it posts, excuse any typos.

2 comments:

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Can't wait to see it completed! Have you thought to put paintable clauk (a little in the hole and then paint over it. Those knobs just go so well !

Anonymous said...

I swear all projects take 2 or 3 times longer, trips to return stuff..for us they do anyway. It looks neat!Terry