Monday, August 18, 2008

The chair

So, while I was wondering what I would post about today, I was looking through my picture files and found this. Remember the chair from this post? Well - this is the chair that prompted that make-over.

This chair has been in Mr. Wonderful's family for a long time His mother remembers it as a child and hubby remembers breaking it when he was a child. (you can't see the repair from this angle, but it is visible) Anyway - he wanted the chair and his mother gave it to him. I really need to get him to write out the history of who it belonged to before his mother had it - I keep forgetting. (I think it was her aunt, but like I said. . .) I really didn't think that I would be comfortable having in the living room so I moved the glider rocker out of our bedroom and put this chair where the glider had been. While this chair is pretty - it really isn't my style. I'm not really sure why - it is kind of 'delicate' looking and 'delicate' is not exactly a word I would think of to describe myself. (I do think it would be wonderful painted white but I've been forbidden from painting it). I have a lot of family things - all of which have much more sentimental value than monetary value - just like this chair. This is really the only thing Mr. Wonderful has asked me to find a place for, so I guess I can resist the urge to paint it - but it is tough!
I did do some stitching yesterday but I haven't taken a progress picture. I'm still trying to finish the July square on The Red Thread project. I don't think I will be caught up by the end of August.
Have a great day.

9 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

What an absolutely gorgeous chair!!!!! Knowing the history would make it even more wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful chair!

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful chair. But I'm like you, I don't think I'm dainty enough to sit in it! But it sure looks good!
Brenda

Unknown said...

What a wonderful old chair you've got there. Hmmmm, I don't think I would sit myself down in it with fear of it turning to firewood. LOL It's pretty to look at though. Maybe a pillow or stuffed animal might perk it up abit and leave you without the desire to want to PAINT it. Tee Hee

Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

That chair is glorious.... I am like you and would want to paint it.... but I can understand hubby not wanting that.... maybe some white pillows or pink would make you happy... it is a beautiful chair...
Hugs
Linda

Bo said...

Good morning and thanks for dropping by my lil ole blog...with time I hope to improve on it..LOL. So you live in East Texas... Are you familiar with Annie's Attic in Big Sandy? Love that chair you posted! ;-) Brown-Eyes (aka Bo)

Catty Wampus said...

Hi Tina; I left you an award on my blog; So come n get it LOL!!!
I love that chair; it seems very Victorian; maybe a lacy shawl draped over it and pillow? I have to stop lurking and remember to leave you comments; Im gettin' better I swear! LOL
Merrie

Michelle said...

Hi Tina,
That chair is beautiful ~ thanks for sharing the history.

Michelle

Linda said...

Hi Tina, this is a wonderful family treasure. I wonder how many little ones were rocked in it....hugs, Linda